Sunday, August 28, 2011

I felt like destroying something beautiful.

I think I am a very selfish man but at least I'm not a man-child like so many of the Gen Xers I've grown up with. I say this because I purposely, and with malice aforethought, went out into a group of people and out surfed them.

I surfed like an asshole.

To wit, I dropped in on guys because I knew they weren't going to make the wave anyway. This probably didn't help them learn to get waves. I also dropped in and took a speedline just so I could catch up with someone and either shout them off the wave or line a turn up so that it was dangerously close to them. All of this is actually socially acceptable surfing behavior  but only if the other person dropped in on you with some proximity. Chasing people down a wave face is an asshole thing to do. After riding the hell out of a wave I paddled right back to the peak and past everyone else just to show them that I fully intended to take the next fucking set wave so stay out of my way you pricks.

Why did I do this? I'm normally a really nice guy in the water. I travel up and down the beach, grab a wave here, grab a wave there, and peace and blessings on everyone. Not today. Today I was in aggro douche mode and I fucking loved it.

I think the problem is that I'm not exercising enough and not surfing enough. Granted, I work out and surf more than most people I know as my wife is very accommodating and, thankfully, the kid is old enough to have stuff to do. I get a fair bit of free time but I suspect it's not enough. This is a problem as we are going to have a baby in February and my free time will evaporate for quite some time.

Lately I've begun to worry about how I'll react to this change. I have a lot of responsibilities and I take them very seriously. I don't slack. Well, I don't slack that much for a Gen Xer. Either way, I get everything done that needs to get done and I generally have a good attitude about the process. All I ask in return is that I be allowed to do the things that make me happy: surf, hunt, eat well, and occasionally get drunk with my idiot friends. It's really not that crazy.

I think I need to establish a schedule so that I don't turn into one of those overweight Dads who spends all of his non-work time servicing everyone else. If I get up at the crack of dawn and surf and run and hit the weights and everyone else gets up as I finish I'll still have time to schlep kids around and clean up after everyone, right?

But what if I turn into one of those middle-aged guys with a midlife crisis? You know the ones, new car, "extreme" hobbies out of the blue, obsessed with being cool. Fuck. That would be so much worse than being a fat bastard who never does anything for himself.

This is what consumes me these days. Well, this and the downfall of American civil society as it battles the evils of neoliberal economics and anti-intellectual religious extremism.

I need an orange flavored Push-Up.

Peace out, bitches!

1 comment:

Blogger said...

This way my acquaintance Wesley Virgin's story launches in this SHOCKING and controversial VIDEO.

Wesley was in the military-and soon after leaving-he discovered hidden, "SELF MIND CONTROL" tactics that the CIA and others used to get whatever they want.

THESE are the exact same tactics lots of famous people (notably those who "come out of nothing") and elite business people used to become wealthy and successful.

You probably know that you use only 10% of your brain.

That's mostly because the majority of your BRAINPOWER is UNCONSCIOUS.

Perhaps that expression has even taken place IN YOUR own head... as it did in my good friend Wesley Virgin's head around seven years ago, while riding a non-registered, trash bucket of a car with a suspended driver's license and $3.20 on his bank card.

"I'm so fed up with going through life check to check! When will I get my big break?"

You've taken part in those types of thoughts, right?

Your very own success story is going to be written. You need to start believing in YOURSELF.

CLICK HERE To Find Out How To Become A MILLIONAIRE