Sunday, December 27, 2009

Just get us up river!

Wister Unit, a part of the Imperial Wildlife Refuge located along the Salton Sea, is so much more amazing than San Jacinto. It's a revelation. Amazing. Eye opening. I've never seen so many birds in one place at one time. A flock of geese numbering in the thousands turned the sky salt and pepper. Birds went streaking by left and right all morning and into the evening. Melah took a couple of pot shots and the midget fidgeted and complained but blew a really good duck whistle. She'll be quite the hunter if she ever learns to calm down. (As I write she is doing splits in the hotel room, high as hell on sugar.) The best part of the day was shooting my first goose. I can't even describe how amazing it was to see it, take three long shots, and watch it fall. I had to walk about a hundred yards through a swamp to find the bugger but there was no way I was going to let him go.

A little cheeseburger action and now we're watching TV and getting ready to quail hunt tomorrow. It ain't Mexican food and beers with the boys but it's pretty close.
The happy couple and a mangy mutt. Notice the green wing teal around my neck, I'm quite proud of killing them dead.

This is going to be the cover of the new Vogue Wilderness edition. It's called Duck chic with dekes.
After lunch in the ol' duck blind.

My first snow goose and some random black kid.

Peace out, bitches!

6 comments:

savannah said...

great photos!!! but i swear if you buy a double wide and put the great pumpkin up on blocks, i am totally disowning you! ;~D

captain chaos said...

Nice. No, we might forgo the double wide and just live out of the Pumpkin. Boards and guns on top and gear inside, nice and cozy!

savannah said...

did you save me a feather?

captain chaos said...

Will do.

CreoleBeBop said...

A new year's goose Mr. Feniman. Capital.

HOOOORAYYYY

CreoleBeBop said...

By the way, does the dog watch you retrieve?