Tuesday, December 30, 2008

We find if we gift them with a past...

So Christmas has come and gone and I can't be happier. It is always a season of weirdness for me and it now has the added bonus of being tinged with bittersweet memories of my failed marriage. Ah yes, it would be all too easy to spend the Christmas bit of the year holed up at Tortuga, nursing one gin and tonic after another while pretending to peruse the LA Times. Nope, not this year. This year I cooked and was social and it wasn't bad. I did ruin the oyster stuffing but hey, shit happens. The duck came out great and the wild rice was good and who doesn't like green beans?

Since then I've been up to Kern National Wildlife Refuge and gotten skunked on ducks. Melah and I didn't even get called in the sweat line until almost 10am. We walked a mile and found the crappiest blind I've ever seen. It looked like Ghost made it. As a joke. We posted up and called and called but to no avail. I got one high crossing shot on a Shoveler but the blind was so small and piss poorly made that maneuvering for a shot was well nigh impossible. A couple of canvassbacks came through but hey, you still can't kill 'em! All in all, interesting and I'll head up there again in the hope of getting a good spot.

What else? Saw Slumdog Millionaire and loved it even though it's got problems. I'm heading out to San Jacinto tomorrow morning to try and shoot a duck before the year ends. We'll see, we'll see. 

Peace out, bitches!

3 comments:

savannah said...

what a drag! all that work for just the experience? but then again, isn't what life is all about? or something like that? xox

captain chaos said...

Eh, I'll take a bird in hand any day. Like, maybe, tomorrow?

CreoleBeBop said...

I hope you bag a few ducks today. I always find that killing a few things goes a long way to putting the past behind you.

Pops