Sunday, October 19, 2008

This sho' enuf a bizarre sight in the middle-a all this shit!

I have a confession- I shot an innocent bird today. He was beautiful, too, orange feathers under his wings, blood red cheeks, and a sleek and stunning look about him. He popped up and looked exactly like a damn alpha male quail out scouting for the rest of the covey. I popped him from about thirty yards out and clearly I should have waited. I felt really bad about shooting him but as Ani said, there's nothing you can do about it now. Poor little guy. Sorry Bird God, I shall make amends some how.

We didn't actually find any quail out in the middle of nowhere but we did see some incredible vistas and I got to watch Ghost completely fail at being a bird dog. Nowhere to go but up from here, I guess. I did bag a huge jackrabbit but upon further examination I found out he was completely and utterly infested with both grubs and ticks. I'm talking gigantic desert ticks, not the little goof balls you see in town. Scared the shit out of me when I picked him up. All in all it was a lovely long walk in the high desert for no good reason. I personally loved being out there under the big blue sky, wandering around and enjoying the air and the land. Sigh. I think the next trip is going to be either down along the Mexican border or possibly up in the Central Valley. Maybe after the Valley I'll head out to Doug's for a little gourmet meal and some coastal living. It could happen.

Hope all is well with whoever might be reading this crap.

Peace out, bitches!

6 comments:

savannah said...

sounds like a grand walk, even with a clean, but bad kill. maybe gfk isn't ready for the big hunt...

(books, prints and nicknacks, oh my....so much stuff)

Momentary Madness said...

You will have to travel to the under world to ask forgiveness, and be free of the burden.
Better to go rather than be dragged kicking and screaming in the dead of night.

Mr. Moose said...

MM is right. When you visit the Bird God, be sure to dress thyself in seven layers of finery, enter his sanctum laid low on your knees, and refuse not the eating of ashes and clay.

Barney said...

And be thankful that foul bunny wasn't infested with giant desert grubbs, too.

supernana said...

Ani was right. I think you're rubbing off on her!

captain chaos said...

To one and all: underworld? vestments? grubbs? Ani? OK, ok, I'll make amends the very next time I'm out hunting. That should be next week but we'll see.