Sunday, January 4, 2009

I'm here a week now waiting for a mission, getting softer...

So Melah and Ani are going back to work and school tomorrow and Ghost and I and our expanding bellies couldn't be happier. It's not that we don't love them, it's just that they're, how to put this politely, rather sedentary. In their defense they're seven and lazy, you be the judge of which to apply to whom. In all seriousness, I've come to realize that I am not someone who sleeps-in unless hung-over and I'd rather not spend too much time sitting on my ass unless I'm hunting or watching football. Otherwise, there's way too much to be done and I think that come the end of winter break tonight the Ghost and the Darkness will be back in full time business: long hikes into the mountains, hours spent chasing quail through the great expanse of the high desert, multiple trips to the gym every week. Yes, sounds like we might be getting another mission soon!

I do believe, as this might be the last week that I'm not busy, that Tuesday and Wednesday will be spent out of the house and in the field. Tuesday seems like a great day to go quail hunting out by the Colorado River on Indian territory. You can sort of cheat and get an Indian license which allows you to hunt  both the Califas side of the mighty Colorado and the Arizona side without getting an Arizona license. Take that, Land of McCain! Camp or cheap hotel and then up and at the ducks in the San Jacinto area on Wednesday morning. Maybe even extend it all and head towards the deserts south east of San Diego for another day of quail hunting on Thursday. Then surf again Friday and wonder why no one ever calls me to do anything. I don't care, I just want to hunt and surf and see some cool shit, ya heard?

So I cooked my duck today for a snack and it was amazing. My little hen Ruddy duck ended up being delicious: breasted out and grilled with a little salt and pepper and served with a freshly made batch of Salsa Verde Italian-style. Amazing. Simple and good and straightforward food and the smug sense of satisfaction that comes with making it. Ha! God I'm an asshole.

Peace out, bitches!

7 comments:

savannah said...

maybe so, but you're one hellva cook, sonnyboy! ;)

(i'm buying a pink schwinn cruiser with my birthday money! jaysus, i really am 8 years old still!)

captain chaos said...

Nice! Cruisers are always a good buy. Don't forget to get a bell or horn!

CreoleBeBop said...

I'm so envious of you! I want to go for hikes, hit the gym, hunt during the week - and yes, I agree, up early and lots to do!

Anyway, I'm going back to work. Be back in the world sometime in March. I wonder if there's a spring turkey hunt here in Georgia........?????

And the cooking dude, great! All you need now to complete your status as a bonafide renaissance man is to come up with a new invention - how about developing a new shotgun site for the farsighted, like me?

Love Pops

captain chaos said...

Gonna miss you, man. As for the invention, I was thinking more along the lines of some sort of "off" switch for hyper-active dogs in duck blinds. I'll make millions?

Mr. Moose said...

I think about what Maugham said - "I don't work until inspiration strikes. Fortunately, inspiration strikes every morning at nine."

savannah said...

a bell, oglethorph! eureka! that's it!!! xoxo

captain chaos said...

In the immortal words of one Oscar Wilde, "Work is the curse of the drinking classes." Amen brother, amen. That's why I quit drinking until I start working again.