Thursday, September 10, 2009

They have to amuse themselves, 'cause we're not making them laugh.

Some thoughts on Denver:
City Hall looks like every other city hall-vaguely Roman architecture and meant to be imposing. Not bad, not very original, but not bad. Across a park and a little block away is another spired building that is lit up in garish blue light at night. It's a church, or so I'm told. Stand in the right spot and you can see both of them at night and you get the sense that someone in Denver is starved for attention.

People drink a lot here. The rent is fairly cheap and there don't seem to be too many cops around and the kids here get hammered. I went to a punker bar the other night and sort of sat back and observed and was stunned at the amount, severity, and volume of the drinking going on. I met a few kids who told me all about the music scene in Denver and where to go every night of the week for a good drink, DJ, and local band. They were fired up and quite funny. I think the oldest person I talked to was the bartender and he was only 34. I also watched a street punk duke it out with one of the bar patrons. Everyone was on the street cheering them on and the door man didn't step in until someone got bounced off the floor. The three homeless Indians at the bus stop told me they were alcoholics and that whites were funny.

Downtown Denver is chock full of little restaurants and bars and seems about as stale as you can get. It's sparkling clean and you get the feeling it really wishes it were somewhere else. There's an open air pedestrian mall on 16th street that reminds me of South Pasadena back in the day: homeless people competing with slightly upscale joints for your money.

I can't think of any reason to come back here but I don't hate the place.

Peace out, bitches!

1 comment:

savannah said...

so, i guess a postcard is not forthcoming? ;~D