Thursday, January 14, 2010

Remember it, write it down, take a picture! I don't give a fuck!

Harold and Belle's is an LA institution and I love it. It's the kind of place you can go to a few times and you're a local. Creole food and good service and good times makes the world go round, y'all. Anywhat, I hadn't been in there for ages but now that my internal organs aren't in a state of rebellion I decided to get in and get some grub. As soon as I walked in the bartender Santos gave me a holler and started pouring us our traditional shot of tequila. The hostess remembered me from last time I'd been in there. I slid up to my usual spot at the end of the bar and waited for my hot sausage po' boy to show up and had me shot. Next thing you know, Councilman Bernie Parks rolls in, you know, ex-Police Chief Parks. The conversations between the real old timers was priceless: The Saints- yes or no? Parks- good job or bad job? Upwardly mobile looking black boomers and their grown kids, young hip hoppers with baggy pants and chains, and older men and women rocking out on a Thursday. Ah, hilarious. I love being in LA.

Back to Old Navy tomorrow and ducks on Saturday. Damn it feels good to be a gangsta...

Peace out, bitches!

4 comments:

savannah said...

i can hear randy newman in the background! ;~D

CreoleBeBop said...

Harold and Bell's goes through periods of excellent to just hanging in there, but has survived. There was a great show on TV, ahead of its time, called Frank's Place http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank%27s_Place

What you so vividly describe here reminds me of that show. If you ever see this show on CD, let me know, I'll buy it asap.

Next time I'm in L.A. let's go to H&B's and hang. Your mother and I knew Bell and I'm sue we'll know a lot of the old heads that hang out there.

Again, thanks for the bow and string info.

Love
Pops

captain chaos said...

I loved Frank's Place. Even as a kid it made me want to open a restaurant and just hang out with the customers and staff. Maybe later. As for finding that on DVD I can't believe it ain't on Amazon.

expat@large said...

MITM: I think CC's mum and you, between you, know EVERYONE important!