Friday, September 5, 2008

Saigon... shit; I'm still only in Saigon... Every time I think I'm gonna wake up back in the jungle.

So this is work. A bunch of cameras pointed at the same thing but everyone has a different lens size, tons of goons (some hung over and some not), bad lighting and even worse "action." Good times. Lasted a week, which is why I haven't posted as I find work to be increasingly uninspiring.


This is Kate, bored at work doing God-knows-what but looking cool. Barbie Che, maybe?

I spent this whole week looking for things to do. Mostly I realized I was poor and had bills due. Also, I surfed a lot of really small waves and hung out with my parents. Lovely people, you might know them or at least of them if you read Savmarshmamma or have ever been to Chad. 

We ate at Phillipe's, which is a downtown LA institution worthy of several posts. In short, it's been around since the 30s and was always very popular with the circus crowds that used to bivouac nearby. The main train hub is also nearby and is a lovely example of Art Deco architecture. Anyway, Phillipe's has sawdust on the floors, almost all of the original seats and benches and booths, and serves basic American diner food exceptionally well. They do everything right and straightforward and they do it without charging an arm and a leg. If you're truly from Los Angeles you've been here and love the place. It's always like coming back home. 

We stopped by Olvera Street as well and here is a photo of some Mexican Lucha Libre masks. They rock and sometimes I wear one while surfing. Or buying groceries. Maybe I'll try one at the gym.

Peace out, bitches!




3 comments:

savannah said...

i think i'll just direct people over here to read about my la experience! xox

dive said...

Cool!
More photos of Phillipe's might be nice next time you're out there (I'm a sucker for LA Art Deco architecture; anything like that gets me moist).
Glad to see you're looking after Savannah and MITM!

captain chaos said...

Thanks for the traffic, Ma. And to Dive: of course. There's a whole photo thing I want to do on the blog anyway.