Sunday, May 10, 2009

Did Doogie Houser just steal my fucking car?

It's so funny, just when you think it can't happen again someone goes out and makes another Star Trek movie and what can I say? I saw it. It ruled. Nice blend of old Star Trek movie madness and new school snarkiness and CG work. There were a few scenes on the bridge that were completely over stylized but overall it worked. The nicest part was that I saw it with both the brothers. The not nice part was that we saw it at one of those super malls: The Americana at Brand. You know, trolley car for no good reason, overdone lawns, super expensive niche stores, and a ton of people wearing either their pajamas or their Sunday best. I found it completely annoying and couldn't get out of there fast enough.

Last night I took the girl to AOC on Beverly. The prices are steep but the food is phenomenal. We started off with a fine selection of cheeses including a stunningly complex and delicious Italian blue. After the cheese came the artisnal salamis: four different types whose names are now lost to me but by God they were good! Next up was an amazingly simple but flavorful salad of arugula, radish, fried calamari, and an aioli salad dressing that killed. It was a small plate and I truly wish I knew how to make it as I'd have that for dinner every night. Our entrees showed up in quick order and the lamb skewers with artichoke and almonds and salsa verde were stunning. Melah had ordered diver scallops wrapped in prosciutto with English peas in a saffron butter sauce. Oh. My. God. The dark horse was the fingerling potatoes in creme fraiche. So damn good it made me want to slap myself. For dessert I went out on a limb for me and ordered a warm blueberry gallette with ice cream and whipped cream. The girl got the bittersweet chocolate tart and it blew my dessert out of the water. All in all a wonderful way to celebrate Saturday and a great way to spend a few hours.

Mother's Day: what? It's Hallmark crap. On top of that I have to go to what will probably be a crappy restaurant with Melah's parents. Damn holidays.

Peace out, bitches!

1 comment:

savannah said...

aren't you glad that:
1. i live in savannah.
2. i say fuck all hallmark holidays.
3. :D