Saturday, May 2, 2009

Ok, so why are we here? Probably to answer the most basic question: "What is wrong with you people?"

Seventeen and eighteen year olds are funny wehn grouped together in your living room. They're awkward and odd and lean on things they shouldn't and spill food all over your freshly cleaned floors. God bless 'em, at least they didn't raid the booze. We hosted Sister 3's birthday party and it seemed to go well. Melah's parents brought over a gang of geek, I mean greek, food and everyone drank soda, didn't smoke dope, and listened to music and hopefully managed not to scratch any of my CDs. Good times. Lazlo showed up and helped me kill a case of Newcastle and that was that except I needed to wake up at 4am to head up to Ft. Hunter-Ligget. Traffic fucked me but I made it and now I sit forlornly in yet another motel room, turkey-less. I might cry a little.

I hunted Training Area 29, which is a gargantuan chunk of relatively untouched bit of California valley beauty. I love it here. It's gorgeous and, aside from the occasional sound of .50cal rounds going off in the distance, it's tranquil. I actually fell asleep for about twenty minutes while posted up looking for turkeys. Full ghillie suit and face mask and decoys set up and bam, asleep. Silly man. I walked and called and staked out a couple of spots but nothing came of it except I jumped some of the biggest jack rabbits I've ever seen and found a million and a half quail and dove. It never fails, you go hunting and find millions of whatever is out of season and nothing that you can actually shoot. I saw deer everywhere and even stalked up to within twenty yards of a doe. It was funny, I don't think she knew I was there until I popped up and used my mouth call. How's that for fun? You're a deer and you're just chilling, lying around when all of a sudden a tree pops up and screams at you like a turkey. What the fuck?!

Anyway, I'm a bit depressed. Tomorrow is the last day of turkey season and I think I'm going to come up with a goose egg. In my defense, it's my first season and I worked most of the time. Tomorrow is only going to be day six for my first spring turkey season. How unsatisfying. I guess I'll have to cheer myself up by going pig hunting sometime soon. Not that I was particularly successful at that the two times I went but hey, that's why it's called hunting and not shopping.

Peace out, bitches!

No comments: